To be eligible for Zip you must:
- Live in New Zealand
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be capable of entering into a legally binding contract
- Have a valid and verifiable email address and NZ mobile number
- Have a NZ bank issued credit or debit card
- Have a valid NZ Driver Licence or other ID with acceptable proof of address
How to apply
We'll need the following details from you when you sign up for a Zip account:
- Your Full Name
- Your Date of Birth
- Your Address
- NZ Driver Licence number*
- NZ Credit or Debit Card
Your Zip account can be created either via the Apply Now link on our website, or by selecting to pay by Zip at checkout and creating an account from there. Once approved you will be able to complete purchases using Zip at any of our approved Merchants.
Zip performs a credit check on all new users upon registration and you will be asked to provide valid ID. Once your credit score & ID has been confirmed and your account has been verified, Zip assigns your spend limit.
Our system does this instantaneously* and if it’s all approved, you agree the payment schedule and we'll deduct your first payment.
*If you don’t have a NZ Driver Licence, our team will need to manually verify your ID (Passport or Kiwi Access/18+ card) and proof of address. Select I don't have a NZ Driver Licence at the ID stage and we'll verify your account within 48 hours.
When completing the sign up process, please ensure:
- All details are correct (your full and legal name, your date of birth, your registered address)
- Your name will need to match exactly what is on your ID
- You have not previously had a Zip account (if so, please contact us)
If you have any trouble with signing up or with the ID section, please submit a request with a copy of the required documentation and we can verify your Zip account.